These resources provide useful information regarding vehicle insurance, safety and other consumer information:
- Minnesota Department of Public Safety
- Minnesota Department of Transportation
- Advocates for Highway Safety is an alliance of consumer, health and safety, and insurance groups working together to make America’s roads safer.
- The Kelley Blue Book provides information on what the fair market value is to replace a damaged vehicle.
- AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety provides traffic safety news, driver education videos, and resources for drivers of all ages.
- The Insurance Information Institute answers consumers’ insurance questions.
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website provides information on traffic safety, product recalls, vehicles, and legal/regulatory information.
- Insurance Institute for Highway Safety provides injury, collision & theft loss information on recent vehicle models and information on motorcycle accidents.
- Federal Trade Commission Web site provides useful consumer information on purchasing, leasing, or renting vehicles.
- JACDEC – Jet Airliner Crash Data Evaluation Center
- Aviation Safety Network Flight Safety Foundation
- AirDisaster.Com (Solutions for Safer Skies)
- ACRO – Aircraft Crashes Record Office
- Improve Crew Resource Management
- Improve Runway Safety
- Reduce Dangers to Aircraft Flying in Icing Conditions
- Reporting an Aviation Accident to the NTSB
- National Transportation Safety Board Data Base
The Minnesota Department of Transportation has several informative resources relating to bicycling safety, including:
- Seven Smart Routes to Bicycle Safety (PDF)
- Bike Safety – KidsHealth
- Prevent Bicycle Crashes: Parents and Caregivers
- Kids and Bicycle Safety – National Highway Transportation Safety Administration
- Minnesota Safety Council’s Bike Safe, Bike Smart Program
- Share the Road
- Road Rules
- Getting There By Bicycle This site will provide you with information and resources to help you make your bicycle trip a safe, efficient and enjoyable one.
- United Cerebral Palsy (UPC)
- Spina Bifida Association
- Shriners Hospitals for Children
- Muscular Dystrophy Association
- Minnesota Birth Defects Primary Prevention and Services Report
- Minnesota Birth Defects Work Group
- Minnesota Department of Health – Birth Defect Prevention
- March of Dimes
- American Academy of Cerebral Palsy and Developmental Medicine
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources offers several informative resources on boating and water recreation regulations, including the following materials:
- Required Permits
- Watercraft registration & fees Temporary structures, docks and buoys
- Boating education
- Local surface use regulations Initiating local surface use zoning
- Inland waterway markers
- Boating rules for the Lower St. Croix National Scenic Riverway
- Personal watercraft laws for Minnesota
- Boating Guide
- Selecting a Life Vest for Your Child
- Child Life Jacket Law A legal measure that went into effect in 2005, requires children under age ten to wear a life jacket when aboard watercraft in Minnesota when the craft is under way (not tied up at a dock or permanent mooring).
Burns & Explosions
- National Burn Repository 2007 Report (American Burn Association) (PDF)
- Burns – The Children’s Hospital: Denver
- Tap water scalds among seniors and the elderly: Socio-economics and implications for prevention
- American Burn Association
- Preventing Unintentional Scald Burns: Moving Beyond Tap Water
- Mayo Clinic First-Aid Guide – Burns
- A Community Approach to Dog Bite Prevention – By the American Veterinary Medical Association (PDF)
- Dog Bite Prevention – By the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- The Food and Drug Administration provides safety information on prescription drugs and other medical devices.
- The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services provides information on safety, products, and other wellness information.
- Minnesota Department of Health provides information regarding patients in Minnesota.
- The Internet Drug Index lists drugs by generic, trade name, or manufacturer.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- National Institute of Health
Nursing Home Abuse
- The Eldercare Locator
- The U.S. Administration On Aging
- The U.S. Department Of Health And Human Services
- Nursing Home Compare
- The U.S. Government Accounting Office
- The National Consumer Voice for Long Term Care
- The National Center On Elder Abuse
- The Worst Nursing Homes (PDF)
- Nursing Home Watch List
- Senior LinkAge Line
- Alzheimer’s Association Minnesota-North Dakota Chapter
- Minnesota Department Of Human Services
- Rights Of Minnesota Nursing Home Residents
- Medicare’s Guide To Choosing A Nursing Home
- Nursing Home Checklist
- Report Card Of Minnesota’s Nursing Homes
- Annual Inspections (Surveys) Of Minnesota’s Nursing Homes
- Comparing Minnesota Nursing Homes
- Nursing Home Investigations
- Minnesota’s Complaint Form
- Filing A Complaint Against A Minnesota Nursing Home
- Minnesota Nursing Home Abuse
Spinal Cord Injuries
- Spinal Cord Injury Information Network
- The American Spinal Cord Injury Association
- The National Spinal Cord Injury Association
- Coping and Support for Spinal Cord Injuries – Mayo Clinic
- Complications of Spinal Cord Injuries – Mayo Clinic
- When to Seek Medical Advice for Spinal Cord Injury – Mayo Clinic
- Causes of Spinal Cord Injury – Mayo Clinic
Traumatic Brain Injuries
- The Brain Trauma Foundation provides information and guidelines to health care professionals on post-impact treatment of brain injuries especially in the acute phase following injury.
- The Brain Injury Association of America provides information, education, and support to help traumatic brain injury victims and their families.